Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Swimming


At the beginning of this summer Kate could swim under water pretty well. However, this past month she has learned how to swim, come up and take a breath, and go back under and swim some more. I was very impressed as I had heard that usually 4 years old is the youngest that can learn that skill. But let me tell you that since learning how to really swim all Kate wants to do is go to the pool and swim, swim, swim. Which don't get me wrong I am excited about but it is still early and having to watch her like a hawk and Whit is exhausting!!


Just the other day I was at the pool with Kate without Whit and I talked her into going off the diving board. Well that was a mistake because I have created a monster. She will jump off and swim to the side, over and over and over again! I think I treaded water for over 45 minutes the other day while she jumped off the diving board a million times (even though she can swim to the side I am still a little too scared not to be out in the deep end with her). Some bigger girls were jumping off doing spins and toe touches...and little miss Kate can't stand to not keep up with the big girls and before I knew it she was spinning off the diving board.


So looks like we officially have a little swimmer on our hands!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Bryce has been swimming like a madman too (never wears his float anymore) and comes up for air, too. He's really amazed us at how fast he caught on this summer. Kate and him will be like fish together. He was doing the SAME thing on the diving board at my sister's house although I opted not to tread water for 45 minutes :) (you're better than me). Little Dawson jumps off the diving board, too (with his float). My kids LOVE the water. Can't wait for this weekend.

Shea and Jacob said...

All I can think while reading this is that Kate is just like YOU!