Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's Out of Control

I really can't believe I haven't posted about this sooner since I am obsessed. But as most of you know I got a new sewing machine that sews and embroiders. Its hard not to want to monogram and applique everything!! And to think that less then a year ago I was learning to sew on an old Singer machine with just a little bit of fabric, 1-2 patterns and some thread. Now it's out of control! As you can see in the below pictures, we no longer have a guest bedroom because I have taken it over with all my sewing stuff. And the reason I have so much is completely because of the generosity of others. A lot of what I have is borrowed...sewing books/magazines, dress manican, pleater, and patterns. A sweet lady in my bible study that I have gotten to know who quilts and doesn't sew that much anymore loaded me up with fabric that she had and patterns and lace and so much more. So I really have been blessed by others generosity towards me. And I am so grateful because I just LOVE sewing.

What is sad about this picture is that this is only 1/2 of the disaster!! But between, measuring tapes, seam rippers, cloth setters, hoops, stabilizer, fabric scraps, fabric, pleaters, iron/ironing board, pins, lace/eyelett, and so much more - I mean really, where in the world do you put it all?

This is my new machine!! You just tell it what to do and then watch it do it!! (well kind of) All of this fabric was given to me! Thanks to Jennifer who organized it all...it was just sitting out in stacks in the middle of the floor for a while!Here is Kate's Thanksgiving outfit...I made it to go with her Spider outfit pants.
It has been a lot of fun to make burp cloths for people....Shea this one is coming your way for Kinley!!
I have been smocking a lot...here is Kate's christmas dress. Wreaths were the easiest christmas smocking plate I could find!
And here is my proudest accomplishment...for those of you who wonder why all the heirloom sewing is so expensive - this dress cost me a ton of money to make and I didn't even use that much lace and beading. The bottom of the dress still needs to be hemmed so imagine it half that length.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! super impressed! Those are sooo cute! Maybe you can give lessons!

Shea and Jacob said...

Wow.....you have totally put my sewing abilities to shame. I'm going to need to take lessons from you now! That dress at the bottom is GORGEOUS! I'm thinking (hoping) Mom's going to make something like that for Kinley's baby dedication. And I LOVE the burp cloth! That is just too cute! When I scrolled down to it I was thinking...why does Kate need a new burp cloth (secretly hoping it was for me)??? JHow lucky I am to have such a wonderful friend like you that would already make Kinley a burp cloth! Thank you TONS:)

katieP said...

Hello! Random blog viewer and fellow aspiring seamstress! What brand and model is your new machine? I can tell you love it. What did you upgrade from? I have a awesome Singer that was my grandmothers from the 80's. I was looking into purchasing something that does both sewing and embroidery. I would love to know your thoughts, maybe in your next post. Or feel free to come visit me!

elizabeth said...

I am super impressed. We may have to have a sewing date and let you pass some of your knowledge my way. I am afraid I will love it and want to do all this myself!! Ha. Hope yall are doing well. Let's get together soon!

Natalie and Steven Seahorn said...

So cute! I wish I had the time, patience, and talent to do that! Hope you all are doing well!

Marianna said...

Laura, I am so impressed! You need to go into business! Seriously, that turkey dress is too cute! I got a sewing machine last christmas and have probably logged a total of 2.5 hours on it...HA!

Whitlamy said...

Very impressive. You've gotten a lot better at the embroidery as the thick lines on your dress and burp clothe really look great.

Courtney said...

Dang girl! I'm so impressed! I think I need to take a trip down the street so that you can teach me!

Sally Miller said...

You need a sewing room all of your own...I've never seen so much stuff! You are talented, you should consider a little side business!

The Wilbanks said...

Ok. Now I know I need to learn. I have been toying with the idea.. it seems so fun and satisfying! You are great! Hope we can get together soon!

Leslie L. said...

Holy cow! You have made some beautiful things!