Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bugs and Burns

Stomach Bug - Kate got her first bout of the stomach bug this past week and I was the lucky recipient of the contents of her stomach. She was a little fussy Friday morning so I picked her up and then "boom" an explosion of milk and breakfast starting coming out of her mouth. I ran with her to the bathroom and poor thing continued to throw up. When she finished I was standing there with throw up all over me, all over her and all over the floor...I mean really, where do you even begin to clean it all up? Thankfully we only had one episode of throw up and she seemed to be absolutely fine for the rest of the day. Have to say that I am not looking forward to when this happens again and I don't even really mind throw up.

Burns - I have to say that I am a really laid back mom and most things I take in stride but this just makes me sick to my stomach to even write about. Last night we had some friends over and we were cooking. Everyone was in the den playing and I was in the kitchen. I opened the oven to move dishes around so we could put the last pan in and Kate came running into the kitchen towards the oven. I screamed and pushed her back as much as I could (I was on the other side of the oven) but she still got one good hand on the open door. As a mom your heart just breaks to see your child in pain. We put her hand under cold water for a while and then gave her a cold glass bottle to hold to help as well. After much crying she finally settled down and went off to bed. Today her hand is still a little red but she is completely unfazed by the events of last night. I have always told myself to go ahead and prepare for and ER run or stitches with having a child...last night didn't require any medical assistance and I am a wreck about it, I am never going to be able to handle the stitches now!

6 comments:

Whitlamy said...

Oooo, poor Kate and poor Momma. You're right, accidents are going to happen...and should in order for kids to learn (we've experienced a few at our house, too) but that doesn't make it any easier on those of us that are responsible for their safety. I feel for you over mommy guilt, although, like you say, she seems fine. Hopefully she won't go near the oven again...poor girlie!!

Whitlamy said...

By the way, with all the pain inflicted on you as a child, Uncle Michael owes you some coverage in the ER for stitches. So, call us and we'll head over if she ever has to go.

Wilson's Winners said...

So sorry to hear that! Throw up bugs are the WORST....at least she's getting immune to them!!!

Deb said...

Poor sweet girl!! When I heard about her burn, I felt for both you and Kate! I can only imagine how much your heart must of hurt for your sweet girl. It's crazy how fast they get over stuff. I'm glad she's healing well. We missed you this morning though.

Leslie Harwell said...

Oh Laura, no good! :( The oven always scares me for some reason. Madelyn, on our trip a week ago, fell back on a sharp rock and cut her head and I just melted. It was the scarest thing I have been through with her yet. It absolutely melts your heart as you said! I am glad she is doing better today!

Sandy P said...

I am sure you were a bit freaked out. Macie pulled a big knife down on herself last night. Thankfully it did not get her (or me), but it scared her brother half to death! I am sure his fear had nothing to do with her mommy screaming "NO".